- The study of the literary methods and sources discernible in a text, especially as applied to biblical writings.More example sentences
- With liberal theology, the postliberal school takes for granted that the Bible is not infallible and that biblical higher criticism is fully legitimate and necessary.
- In the early 1900s a conservative movement sprung up within Protestantism in reaction to liberal theology and the form of Biblical interpretation known as higher criticism.
- Accusers usually identify higher criticism with liberal theology, but in Baptist circles, many of the teachers and writers are often conservative in their theological views, but still appreciate sound critical scholarship.
More definitions of higher criticismDefinition of higher criticism in:
- The US English dictionary