- 1A head covering worn in public by some Muslim women.More example sentences
- The French Assembly is wrong to ban Muslim headscarves, the hijab, in public schools.
- The ban will likely include large Christian crosses, Jewish yarmulkes, Muslim hijabs and turbans worn by Sikhs.
- Just as police officers are more professionally aware while in uniform, so I had a stronger sense of being a Muslim wearing my hijab.
- 1.1The religious code which governs the wearing of the hijab.More example sentences
- Violating the hijab code was made punishable by 100 lashes of the cane and six months imprisonment.
- Today, the figure-obscuring dress code known as hijab remains the Revolution's most visible and enduring legacy.
- One suggestion that occurs repeatedly is that Islam does not require Muslim women to observe hijab or veil.
from Persian, from Arabic ḥajaba 'to veil'.
More definitions of hijabDefinition of hijab in:
- The US English dictionary