Definition of hikikomori in English:
noun (plural same)[mass noun]
1(In Japan) the abnormal avoidance of social contact, typically by adolescent males.
- Western psychologists compare hikikomori with social anxiety and agoraphobia, a fear of open places.
- A syndrome known as hikikomori, in which the outside world is shunned, is wreaking havoc on young people in Japan, a country known for its communal values.
- The decision is difficult, given that he the hikikomori is a profoundly circular and fantastic concept.
1.1 [count noun] A person who avoids social contact.
- A 17-year-old hikikomori sufferer killed a passenger after leaving his self-imposed exile and hijacking a bus.
- Recounting his own experience, he said: "It's difficult to say when my son first began to be a hikikomori.
- While most hikikomori sufferers are merely anti-social, the condition has led to a number of violent crimes.
Japanese, literally 'staying indoors, (social) withdrawal'.
Definition of hikikomori in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.