noun (plural hili /ˈhʌɪlʌɪ/)Anatomy
- An indentation in the surface of a kidney, spleen, or other organ, where blood vessels, ducts, nerve fibres, etc. enter or leave it.More example sentences
- A laparotomy revealed an unresectable tumor encasing the hepatic arteries, portal vein, and common bile duct in the hepatic hilus.
- The arteries enter at the hilus and are carried in, and branch with, the trabeculae.
- At the center of the concave side, where the ureters and veins issue and arterial vessels and nerves usually enter, is the hilus.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, alteration of hilum.
More definitions of hilusDefinition of hilus in:
- The US English dictionary