Definition of Hindustani in English:
1A group of mutually intelligible languages and dialects spoken in NW India, principally Hindi and Urdu.
- They speak, Urdu or Hindustani regardless of the local languages of an Indian State in which they happen to live and thrive.
- Even though Dr. Joshi knows chaste Hindi, he spoke in Hindustani peppered heavily with Urdu words.
- Therefore, no credit at all except for some vocabulary is given to Turkish languages in the history of development of Urdu, Hindi or Hindustani.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the culture of NW India: Hindustani classical music
More example sentences
- When the emphasis is on patrons and court culture, a limited reading of Hindustani music is inevitable.
- A great admirer of Lata Mangeshkar, Shalini is passionate about Carnatic and Hindustani music besides Western classical.
- The book's closing story, for example, is about Mohanji, a gentle and gifted singer trained in classical Hindustani music.
Words that rhyme with HindustaniAfghani, ani, Armani, Azerbaijani, Barney, biriani, blarney, Carney, frangipani, Fulani, Galvani, Giovanni, Killarney, maharani, Mbabane, Modigliani, Omani, Pakistani, Rafsanjani, Rajasthani, rani, sarnie
Definition of Hindustani in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.