noun (plural hippocampi /-pi, -pʌɪ/)Anatomy
- The elongated ridges on the floor of each lateral ventricle of the brain, thought to be the centre of emotion, memory, and the autonomic nervous system.More example sentences
- We performed region of interest analysis in two focal brain areas: the hippocampus and the temporal lobes.
- Added estrogen also upped the signaling capacity of nerve cells in the hippocampus, the brain's memory region.
- In five hours, the neurosurgeons removed the remaining tumour, my right hippocampus, and right temporal lobe.
late 16th century: via Latin from Greek hippokampos, from hippos 'horse' + kampos 'sea monster'.
More definitions of hippocampusDefinition of hippocampus in:
- The US English dictionary