1 [as name] A theatre or concert hall: the Birmingham Hippodrome
More example sentences
- The team has already run an F1 car around the Circus Maximus in Rome, and the historic Sultanahmet hippodrome in Istanbul's city centre.
- No horse races took place at the Palermo hippodrome in the City of Buenos Aires on August 24 and 25.
2(In ancient Greece or Rome) a stadium for chariot or horse races.
- The most popular entertainments were the theater, frequently denounced by the clergy for nudity and immorality, and the races at the hippodrome.
- Both these treaties are shown on the base of the obelisk of Theodosius, erected in the hippodrome at Constantinople in 390, as triumphs of Roman arms.
- Chariot races staged in the hippodrome - always a crowd-pleaser - opened the games.
Definition of hippodrome in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.