Definition of hippodrome in English:
1 [as name] A theatre or concert hall: the Birmingham Hippodrome
More example sentences
- The team has already run an F1 car around the Circus Maximus in Rome, and the historic Sultanahmet hippodrome in Istanbul's city centre.
- No horse races took place at the Palermo hippodrome in the City of Buenos Aires on August 24 and 25.
2(In ancient Greece or Rome) a stadium for chariot or horse races.
- The most popular entertainments were the theater, frequently denounced by the clergy for nudity and immorality, and the races at the hippodrome.
- Both these treaties are shown on the base of the obelisk of Theodosius, erected in the hippodrome at Constantinople in 390, as triumphs of Roman arms.
- Chariot races staged in the hippodrome - always a crowd-pleaser - opened the games.
Definition of hippodrome in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan