noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A compound formed in metabolism and present in the urine of herbivores and other mammals.
More example sentences
- A benzoyl derivative of glycine; chemical formula: C6H5CONHCH2COOH
- This led to the discovery of a natural metabolic process that combines sodium benzoate with glycine to produce hippuric acid.
- For hippuric acid, we compared creatinine in urine and basic parameters of the two groups.
- Urinary metabolites which have been measured include phenol (benzene metabolite), trichloroacetic acid, hippuric acid, and methyl hippuric acid (xylene).
mid 19th century: hippuric from Greek hippos 'horse' + ouron 'urine' + -ic.