Definition of hired gun in English:
nounNorth American informal
1A hired bodyguard, mercenary, or assassin.
- I'm not ready to call these guys mercenaries, because I think there's a line between domestic PMCs and mercenaries or hired guns.
- Are you just a hired gun, a hit man, robbing profit and power from impoverished third world countries?
- More than fifty private security companies are in Iraq today, with an estimated 20,000 hired guns working for them.
2An expert brought in to resolve complex legal or financial problems or to lobby for a cause.
- The club struggled before a decision was made to bring in hired guns in the quest for an elusive flag.
- Editorial writers are hired guns to write the publisher's opinion so it doesn't really matter who they are.
- The cloak is provided by an almost uniformly compliant corps of well-paid news editors, journalists, commentators and hired guns from academia.