noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A basic amino acid which is a constituent of most proteins. It is an essential nutrient in the diet of vertebrates, and is the source from which histamine is derived in the body.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: C6H9N3O2
- The most prevalent amino acid is cysteine with other major ones including tyrosine, histidine, lysine and arginine.
- In humans, histamine is synthesized from histidine, a conditionally-essential amino acid.
- The amount of the amino acids threonine, proline and histidine were also increased in roots of slag-cultivated maize plants.
More definitions of histidineDefinition of histidine in:
- The US English dictionary