- Any of a group of basic proteins found in chromatin.More example sentences
- Indeed, chromatin is known to be rich not only in histones but also HMG proteins, which may play a role in this charge shielding.
- Both nonhistone proteins and histones form complexes with TP.
- People solve this packing problem by tightly wrapping their DNA around proteins called histones.
late 19th century: coined in German, perhaps from Greek histanai 'arrest' or from histos 'web, tissue'.
More definitions of histoneDefinition of histone in:
- The US English dictionary