- 1Famous or important in history, or potentially so: the area’s numerous historic sites a historic occasionMore example sentences
famous, famed, important, significant, notable, celebrated, renowned, momentous, consequential, outstanding, extraordinary, memorable, unforgettable, remarkable, landmark, groundbreaking, epoch-making, red-letter, of importance, of significance, of consequence, earth-shaking, earth-shattering
- There are many pubs and churches and sites of great historic importance.
- They had greatly enjoyed the trip and it was a historic and important occasion, he said.
- For 2,532 years these historic sites have held importance in the mind of the Buddhists.
- 1.1 • archaic Of or concerning history; of the past: eruptions in historic timesMore example sentences
- The second issue that has caused concern is the definition of historic heritage.
- I read with interest the recent article concerning the destruction of historic houses and homes.
early 17th century (in the sense 'relating to or in accordance with history'): via Latin from Greek historikos, from historia 'narrative, knowing by enquiry' (see history).
1 On the use of an historic moment or a historic moment , see an (usage).2 Historic and historical are used in slightly different ways. Historic means ‘famous or important in history’, as in a historic occasion , whereas historical means ‘concerning history or historical events’, as in historical evidence : thus a historic event is one that was very important, whereas a historical event is something that happened in the past.