- There are many pubs and churches and sites of great historic importance.
- They had greatly enjoyed the trip and it was a historic and important occasion, he said.
- For 2,532 years these historic sites have held importance in the mind of the Buddhists.
- The second issue that has caused concern is the definition of historic heritage.
- I read with interest the recent article concerning the destruction of historic houses and homes.
early 17th century (in the sense 'relating to or in accordance with history'): via Latin from Greek historikos, from historia 'narrative, knowing by enquiry' (see history).
1 On the use of an historic moment or a historic moment, see an (usage).2 Historic and historical are used in slightly different ways. Historic means ‘famous or important in history’, as in a historic occasion, whereas historical means ‘concerning history or historical events’, as in historical evidence: thus a historic event is one that was very important, whereas a historical event is something that happened in the past.