Definition of hither in English:
adverbarchaic or literary
adjectivearchaic Back to top
Situated on this side: the hither side of Severn
More example sentences
- Once in the house of custom, on the hither side of the cutting edge, as it were, the scene appears upside down, turned on its head.
- In her second appearance, on ‘the hither bank,’ the woman is ‘to all important’ a critique often directed at Marsden by her detractors and by Joyce's contemporaries.
- In various directions, especially in a disorganized way: the entire household ran hither and thitherMore example sentences
- The plot twists hither and yon, but there isn't the smallest real tension hanging on this stylised arrangement.
- Second, I've been out just about every day since the sales started coming in, posting items off hither and yon.
- They had been aimlessly shining their torches hither and yon for an hour, when Manny unleashed his galling swan song.
Definition of hither in:
- US English dictionary