Definition of hither in English:
adverbarchaic or literary
adjectivearchaic Back to top
Situated on this side: the hither side of Severn
More example sentences
- Once in the house of custom, on the hither side of the cutting edge, as it were, the scene appears upside down, turned on its head.
- In her second appearance, on ‘the hither bank,’ the woman is ‘to all important’ a critique often directed at Marsden by her detractors and by Joyce's contemporaries.
- In various directions, especially in a disorganized way: the entire household ran hither and thitherMore example sentences
- The plot twists hither and yon, but there isn't the smallest real tension hanging on this stylised arrangement.
- Second, I've been out just about every day since the sales started coming in, posting items off hither and yon.
- They had been aimlessly shining their torches hither and yon for an hour, when Manny unleashed his galling swan song.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan