- A large tree-dwelling tropical American bird with weak flight. Young hoatzins have hooked claws on their wings, enabling them to climb about among the branches.
More example sentences
- Opisthocomus hoazin, the only member of the family Opisthocomidae (order Galliformes or Cuculiformes)
- All these animals had acquired adaptations for quadrupedal climbing similar to those of the modern young hoatzin, a bird native to tropical South America.
- The rate of food passage through the digestive system is rapid in many birds, but the hoatzin retains liquids for ca. 18 hr and solids for 24-48 hr, similar to retention times in sheep.
- The hoatzin, a tropical, pheasant-like bird found only in the Amazon rainforest, could be another victim of eco-tourism, which is not tightly controlled in the region.
mid 17th century: from American Spanish, from Nahuatl uatzin, probably imitative of its call.
More definitions of hoatzinDefinition of hoatzin in:
- The US English dictionary