Definition of hobnail in English:
1A short heavy-headed nail used to reinforce the soles of boots.
- When Douglas Hadow's boots were examined, it was found that the hobnails on their soles were worn almost smooth.
- Adults had hobnailed shoes, but hobnails were not found with children so they were bare-foot or wore un-nailed shoes.
- Of the other material categories, footwear is as likely to be absent as present - although without hobnails and suitable conditions for preservation, we cannot be certain about frequency.
- Example sentences
- In winter they wore layers and layers of clothing and hobnailed boots to keep warm.
- A century ago, mountains were climbed in hobnailed boots with stafflike ice axes, footsteps laboriously cut all the way to the top.
- Didn't Mother frequently complain about how and why he must wear hobnailed boots, such was the racket he made early in the morning?
Words that rhyme with hobnailhangnail • treenail
Definition of hobnail in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.