noun (plural same or hogfishes)
A colourful wrasse (fish) that occurs chiefly in the warm waters of the western Atlantic, often acting as a cleaner fish for other species.
- Several genera and species in the family Labridae, in particular the large edible Lachnolaimus maximus
More example sentences
- Longfin damselfish aggressively defend their territory from all intruders and are therefore rarely cleaned by facultative cleaners such as juvenile bluehead wrasse and Spanish hogfish.
- A Spanish hogfish poses in its zebra-striped nightclothes, but every time I bring it into my lamp beam to frame up its portrait, it instantly changes back to its drab daylight guise.
- A hogfish had been ‘cleaning’ me, nibbling at my equipment and at my fingers.
More definitions of hogfishDefinition of hogfish in:
- The US English dictionary