- An edible marine fish related to the hakes, found off the southern coasts of New Zealand.
More example sentences
- Macruronus novaezeelandiae, family Macruronidae
- Pollack, coley and hoki (from MSC-accredited fishery) are alternatives.
- Birdseye is replacing some of its traditional cod fish fingers with a new, more readily available white fish found off the coast of New Zealand called hoki.
- 500g white fish (ideally something like terakihi, but cheaper fish such as hoki or warehou will be ok), cut into 4 serves
late 19th century: from Maori.