Definition of holding in English:
1An area of land held by lease.
- He stated he had approximately 180 acres of his own land but also had rented other holdings throughout the area.
- You'd be talking about the areas where the holdings are vast and few and far between.
- This is reflected in our own region where most holdings are dependent on an off-farm income.
1.1The tenure of land held by lease.
- Land was held in customary tenure, the largest holdings by 250 daimyos (feudal lords), each with his retinue of dependent samurai.
- The current reserve land will be converted to fee simple holdings.
- Customary tenure systems are generally comprised of holdings and commons.
2 (holdings) Stocks, property, and other financial assets in someone’s possession: commercial property holdings
More example sentences
- Shares feature prominently alongside a mixture of securities and property investments in the holdings of the superannuation funds.
- We screened the company's database looking for funds with diversified holdings that spread their assets to many nations in the region.
- On the back of hefty unrealised profits in their property and stock holdings, Japanese banks boosted their global operations, thinking the expansion could last forever.
2.1Books, periodicals, magazines, and other material in a library.
- The doll complements the society's extensive library holdings of printed materials relating to the exposition.
- Later, I again heard him speak at the Huntington Library at a special showing of Huntington holdings of books and manuscripts related to the California gold rush.
- Although most major Australian libraries list the book in their holdings it is not well known.
Words that rhyme with holdingGolding, moulding (US molding), scolding
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan