1The state of being holy: a life of holiness and total devotion to God
More example sentences
- Moses learns at that moment of contemplation, four things about holiness.
- All religions have their symbols of holiness through which the sacred flows into the mundane.
- Paul also tells us to lead quiet lives in godliness and holiness.
1.1 (His/Your Holiness) A title or form of address given to the Pope, Orthodox patriarchs, and the Dalai Lama.
- A news agency recently reported you as the spiritual adviser to His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
- In the typical Tibetan home, there are photographs displayed of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and other incarnate masters.
- So when a friend of mine invited me to attend teachings with His Holiness the Dalai Lama, I signed on for two weeks worth of teachings.
1.2 [as modifier] Denoting a Christian renewal movement originating in the mid 19th century among Methodists in the US, emphasizing the Wesleyan doctrine of the sanctification of believers.
- The current interest in spirituality speaks to the holiness movement that was at the core of it.
- A former Methodist pastor and holiness preacher had established a bible school.
- These people knew the holiness code cover to cover and could quote you chapter and verse.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: holi|ness
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.