A small shield fern which has narrow glossy fronds with a double row of stiff bristle-edged lobes, found chiefly in mountainous areas of both Eurasia and North America.
- Several species in the genus Polystichum, family Dryopteridaceae, in particular the widespread P. lonchitis
More example sentences
- It appears you have a holly fern, which prefers a moist/slightly moist, well-draining soil and bright or filtered shade or morning sun/afternoon shade.
- It's the least cold-hardy of our three holly ferns so I put it in a very protected shady location.
- In form, these evergreen holly ferns were much taller and more open than those that we were already growing.
Definition of holly fern in:
- The US English dictionary