- An evergreen southern European oak, which has dark green glossy leaves. Also called evergreen oak or ilex.
More example sentences
- Quercus ilex, family Fagaceae
- But the Agriculture Department has since confirmed infections in a beech, a horse chestnut and a holm oak in a Cornish garden.
- I'm currently sitting in Priory Park, on the banks of the city's defences in the shade of a beautiful holm oak so that I can see my laptop's screen on such a bright day.
- Every day at the festival there are performances staged beneath the shade of a giant holm oak in the courtyard garden of a 19th century palace.
late Middle English: holm, alteration of dialect hollin, from Old English holen 'holly'.
More definitions of holm oakDefinition of holm oak in:
- The US English dictionary