- The chemical element of atomic number 67, a soft silvery-white metal of the lanthanide series. (Symbol: Ho)More example sentences
- Holmium is extracted from its ores by heating calcium metal with holmium fluoride.
- This equipment will include ultrasound machines, endoscopes and a holmium laser, which can be used to treat some cancers on a non-invasive outpatient basis.
- Typically pulsed dye lasers or the holmium laser are used with very short pulses of high peak power to shatter the stones.
late 19th century: modern Latin, from Holmia, Latinized form of Stockholm (because many minerals of the yttrium group, to which holmium belongs, are found in that area); discovered by P.T. Cleve (1840–1905), Swedish chemist.
More definitions of holmiumDefinition of holmium in:
- The US English dictionary