1The den of an otter.
- They have built a false otter holt, or den, by the river - its exact location is a carefully kept secret - and there are unconfirmed reports that an otter-like creature has been seen in the location.
- The trust has also built artificial holts in which otters can breed, and encouraged farmers, landowners and the public to do the same.
- Wild bird cover crops, an otter holt and boxes for owls, kestrels and bats all contribute to wildlife diversity.
2 dialect , chiefly North American A grip or hold: if you’re lucky enough to get a holt to an alligator tail
More example sentences
- He couldn't get a holt on any money, so I told him about the Farmers' Loan
- But the new teacher, very wise, and understanding June's spirit, soon enough found a way to get a holt on the girl's heart strings.