1The den of an otter.
- They have built a false otter holt, or den, by the river - its exact location is a carefully kept secret - and there are unconfirmed reports that an otter-like creature has been seen in the location.
- The trust has also built artificial holts in which otters can breed, and encouraged farmers, landowners and the public to do the same.
- Wild bird cover crops, an otter holt and boxes for owls, kestrels and bats all contribute to wildlife diversity.
2 dialect , chiefly North American A grip or hold: if you’re lucky enough to get a holt to an alligator tail
More example sentences
- He couldn't get a holt on any money, so I told him about the Farmers' Loan
- But the new teacher, very wise, and understanding June's spirit, soon enough found a way to get a holt on the girl's heart strings.
Words that rhyme with holtbolt, colt, dolt, jolt, moult (US molt), poult, smolt, volt
nounarchaic or dialect
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan