1A city held sacred by the adherents of a religion.
- The gospels record two occasions when Jesus wept: at the tomb of Lazarus and when he saw the holy city Jerusalem.
- Pressed to name the world's most visited holy cities, one might think of Mecca or Jerusalem.
- However, Salt Lake City is a holy city for Mormons, and the Black Hills of South Dakota and other places are sacred native American sites.
1.1 (the Holy City) Jerusalem.
1.2 (the Holy City) (In Christian tradition) Heaven.
- We are further emboldened in our outreach by John's vision of the Holy City of God.
- As Christ descends he raises all the righteous dead, and with the living saints they ascend to the Holy City in heaven.
- Around Zion, the Holy City where God our Father sits on the throne, is an area called paradise.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: holy city
Definition of holy city in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.