A piece of soft sandstone used for scouring the decks of ships.
- The only noises were the holystones being dragged back and forth, the wind in the rigging, the creaking of the ship, and Hornblower's footsteps across the quarter-deck.
- We junior cadets were made to go down on our knees in rows and scrub the wooden decks with holystones in a to and fro motion.
Scour (a deck) with a holystone.
- The men holystoning the deck went at it with a will.
- Alternatively, I also have a thing about random whippings such as might be done by a bosuns mate with a rope's end on board ship, as the men were holystoning the decks.
- The decks of this late Victorian Navy were holystoned white.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: holy|stone
Definition of holystone in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.