Definition of holystone in English:
A piece of soft sandstone used for scouring the decks of ships.
- The only noises were the holystones being dragged back and forth, the wind in the rigging, the creaking of the ship, and Hornblower's footsteps across the quarter-deck.
- We junior cadets were made to go down on our knees in rows and scrub the wooden decks with holystones in a to and fro motion.
verb[with object] Back to top
Scour (a deck) with a holystone.
- The men holystoning the deck went at it with a will.
- Alternatively, I also have a thing about random whippings such as might be done by a bosuns mate with a rope's end on board ship, as the men were holystoning the decks.
- The decks of this late Victorian Navy were holystoned white.
Words that rhyme with holystonesemitone
Definition of holystone in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan