noun• informal , chiefly North American
- A man, especially one of a particular type: the Raiders quarterback is one tough hombreMore example sentences
- Not the least of his talents was keeping himself physically fit to hump his load up over 10,000 foot peaks and keep up with those very tough hombres, the men of the 10th Mountain Division, all the while doing his reporting.
- Tough times take a tough hombre who can roll with the punches and fight back when necessary, and isn't afraid of violating some unwritten code by informing us of his opponent's flaws.
- I'd hazard a guess and suggest there were one or two tough hombres to negotiate with in these outfits, so coming to sunny Scotland to deal with us wimps should be a stroll in the park for our Ian.
mid 19th century (originally denoting a man of Spanish descent): Spanish, 'man', from Latin homo, homin-.
More definitions of hombreDefinition of hombre in:
- The US English dictionary