(North American also home stretch)
- 1The straight final stretch of a racecourse: he dominated the race in the home straightMore example sentences
- The next time Royal carriages drive down the home straight at York racecourse they will be cheered on by thousands of race-goers.
- Coming into the home straight after a fast-paced race, Irish raider Helvetio moves to the head of the field and looks to be cruising.
- Kieren Fallon's mount is going well turning into the home straight of the marathon race but looks as if he cannot get a clear run.
- 1.1The last part of an activity or campaign: heading down the home stretch to Tuesday’s finalMore example sentences
- Here in America, we have entered the home stretch of the campaign season.
- With the campaign in the home stretch, what else can the candidates do to win on Tuesday?
- As the campaign enters the home straight, the struggle to gain an advantage is likely to become even more rambunctious than it has been already.
More definitions of home straightDefinition of home straight in:
- The US English dictionary