Definition of hominoid in English:
A primate of a group that includes humans, their fossil ancestors, and the anthropoid apes.
- Superfamily Hominoidea: families Hominidae and Hylobatidae
- A first look at the jaw shows that it's different from all other fossil hominoids and more similar to large, existing apes.
- The fossil record is replete with evidence supporting a plant-eating, basically frugivorous way of life for ancestral anthropoids, particularly hominoids.
- All extant hominoids with the exception of highland gorillas are strongly frugivorous.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to hominoid primates.
- At present, there seems little evidence to support a view of selection specifically for ethanol detection or its utilization over the course of hominoid evolution.
- Fruit-eating also characterized a number of now extinct hominoid lineages.
- Right from the very first poster, visitors are thrown back millions of years to Africa, the only continent to yield a relatively continuous record of hominoid evolution.
Definition of hominoid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.