- 1Each of two or more words having the same pronunciation but different meanings, origins, or spelling (e.g. new and knew).More example sentences
- But there are huge numbers of homophones that are also homographs: pen ‘writing implement’, pen ‘enclosure for animals’, and pen ‘penitentiary’, to choose a textbook example.
- Over time, the computer program learned to produce the correct meanings and pronunciations for almost all the words, including homophones such as ‘plane’ and ‘plain.’
- In my own pronunciation, for example, latter and ladder are homophones, unless I'm trying hard to convey the distinction.
More definitions of homophoneDefinition of homophone in:
- The US English dictionary