Definition of homopteran in English:
A bug of the group Homoptera.
- More than half of the arthropods were spiders, followed by coleopterans, orthopterans, and homopterans.
- One of the first field experiments to detect adaptive population structure was conducted with Nuculaspis californica, a highly sessile homopteran scale insect that displayed local adaptation to individual ponderosa pine trees.
- Other studies have shown a similar association between ant tending level and homopteran survivorship.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting homopterans.
- The recognition of homopterans by tending ants is critical in ant/homopteran trophobiosis.
- Associations of Hymenoptera with Homoptera have intrigued ecologists and evolutionary biologists as model systems of mutualism.
- Example sentences
- Many additional homopterous insects were controlled either completely or substantially, and some partially.
- Feeding on homopterous honeydew is a logical extension of the typical nectar-feeding habit of adult Lepidoptera.
- Insect biology, behavior, and dynamics are key areas of emphasis for research utilizing homopterous and lepidopterous pests in a citrus production system.
Definition of homopteran in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan