Definition of homopteran in English:
A bug of the group Homoptera.
- More than half of the arthropods were spiders, followed by coleopterans, orthopterans, and homopterans.
- One of the first field experiments to detect adaptive population structure was conducted with Nuculaspis californica, a highly sessile homopteran scale insect that displayed local adaptation to individual ponderosa pine trees.
- Other studies have shown a similar association between ant tending level and homopteran survivorship.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting homopterans.
- Associations of Hymenoptera with Homoptera have intrigued ecologists and evolutionary biologists as model systems of mutualism.
- The recognition of homopterans by tending ants is critical in ant/homopteran trophobiosis.
- Example sentences
- Many additional homopterous insects were controlled either completely or substantially, and some partially.
- Feeding on homopterous honeydew is a logical extension of the typical nectar-feeding habit of adult Lepidoptera.
- Insect biology, behavior, and dynamics are key areas of emphasis for research utilizing homopterous and lepidopterous pests in a citrus production system.
Definition of homopteran in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.