(also honey mushroom)
A widespread parasitic fungus that produces clumps of honey-coloured toadstools at the base of trees. The black string-like hyphae invade a tree, causing decay or death and spreading out to other trees.
- Armillaria mellea, family Tricholomataceae, class Hymenomycetes
More example sentences
- These are highly esteemed, including the ink caps and honey fungus.
- They are a pest in the eyes of most foresters, but many, such as the honey mushroom are edible.
- The trees are being replaced by another species, hornbeam, because it was feared that the honey fungus disease that has killed the mature specimens would also attack young chestnut trees.
Definition of honey fungus in:
- The US English dictionary