Definition of honeydew in English:
1 [mass noun] A sweet, sticky substance excreted by aphids and often deposited on leaves and stems.
- Like mealy bugs, aphids excrete honeydew which gives leaf surfaces a shiny appearance and supports the formation of sooty mold.
- Feeding on a milkweed leaf, tiny aphids (some winged, some wingless) are ‘tended’ by an ant, which feeds on the sweet honeydew excreted by the aphids.
- Most notably, the insect excretes a sticky honeydew that covers the leaves and fruit and promotes the growth of black sooty molds.
2 (also honeydew melon) A melon of a variety with smooth pale skin and sweet green flesh.
- Lutein is found in spinach, leeks, peas, kiwi fruits, black grapes and romaine lettuce, while rich sources of zeaxanthin include sweetcorn, red peppers, nectarines, papaya and honeydew melon.
- Sweetcorn, red peppers, nectarines, papaya and honeydew melon are good sources.
- The other day I wanted to make a tropical salsa with pineapple, honeydew melon, cantaloupe, red onion and cilantro as a side dish.
Definition of honeydew in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan