- An ant that stores large amounts of honeydew and nectar in its elastic abdomen, which becomes greatly distended. This is then fed to nest mates by regurgitation.
More example sentences
- Myrmecocystus and other genera, family Formicidae
- My first featured bug will be a species of honeypot ant from the southwestern deserts, Myrmecocystus mexicanus.
- We have honeypot ants in the genus Myrmecocystus and lots of carpenter ants in the genera Camponotus and Formica.
- Yes, honeypot ants are eaten as a delicacy in some countries, including the US and Australia.
More definitions of honeypot antDefinition of honeypot ant in:
- The US English dictionary