A widely distributed climbing shrub with tubular flowers that are typically fragrant and of two colours or shades, opening in the evening for pollination by moths.
- Genus Lonicera, family Caprifoliaceae (the honeysuckle family): many species, including the Eurasian common honeysuckle (L. periclymenum) and many cultivars. The honeysuckle family also includes such berry-bearing shrubs as guelder rose, elder, and snowberry
More example sentences
- Depending on the season and sunlight, it could be honeysuckles, wisteria, roses, orchids, or buddleias.
- The honeysuckle, with flowers of white or red, emits a wonderful fragrance and grows to about eight feet in two years.
- Up the bare trunks of trees were grown passion flowers, flaming nasturtiums, jasmine, and honeysuckles to finish the picturesque scene.
Definition of honeysuckle in:
- The US English dictionary