noun(in phrase play hookey) • informal , chiefly North American
- Play truant: he played hookey from school to go out huntingMore example sentences
- Were they playing hooky when civics was taught?
- I mean yes, I was caught red-handed playing hooky, so I did take a good tanning from my old man.
- Police say she was playing hooky from school, drinking and swimming with friends in a pool.
mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of hookeyDefinition of hookey in:
- The US English dictionary