- A heavily armed foot soldier of ancient Greece.More example sentences
- Metal helmets were worn by hoplites, the foot soldiers of ancient Greece, and elsewhere in eastern Mediterranean civilizations.
- The Sakonides cup, discussed above, thus provides an example in which the athletic lion-fighter contrasts with the hoplite.
- They were armed with the sarissa, a long spear but at 13 feet actually shorter than the hasta used by Greek hoplites, which was over 16 feet long.
from Greek hoplitēs, from hoplon 'weapon'.
More definitions of hopliteDefinition of hoplite in:
- The US English dictionary