Definition of hopscotch in English:
A children’s game in which each child by turn hops into and over squares marked on the ground to retrieve a marker thrown into one of these squares.
- Children enjoy playing games such as hopscotch and hide-and-seek.
- The purpose of this event - which involved another 50 children - was to see if they would still play traditional street games like hopscotch in the absence of cars and traffic.
- As a youngster I would run screaming if any of my playmates were sick after eating too much ice-cream before a particularly vigorous game of hopscotch.
verb[no object, with adverbial of direction] North American Back to top
Travel from place to place: they hopscotched around eight Western states
More example sentences
- You'll notice that since yesterday, the heliborne troops of the 101AB have moved far north of yesterday's position, hopscotching in their helicopters from one base to the next.
- Developments are hopscotching out to the cheapest land.
- After hopscotching from event to event in Nashua I found a T-Mobile hotspot at a Borders Books in town and jotted down the events in the post below.
Definition of hopscotch in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.