Definition of horehound in English:
1A strong-smelling hairy plant of the mint family, with a tradition of use in medicine.
- Two species in the family Labiatae: white horehound (Marrubium vulgare) and black horehound (Ballota nigra), a Eurasian plant which was formerly said to cure the bite of a mad dog
- The herb garden shows off plants used in cooking, including several varieties of oregano, sage, and thyme to garlics and horehounds.
- One of my favorites is horehound, a robust plant that is nearly indestructible and produces clusters of small white flowers that draw tiny flies like magnets.
- Other herbs that might be used in tea or syrup to treat cough include horehound, sage and thyme.
1.1 [mass noun] The bitter aromatic juice of white horehound, used especially in the treatment of coughs and colds.
- She recommends the use of psyllium for constipation, aloe for jaundice and horehound for cough.
- The old standby is hard candy made with horehound, but these herbal drops can be hard to find these days.
- Ancient Egyptians, Ayurvedic practitioners and Native American healers used horehound, another highly regarded herbal expectorant, as a cough remedy.
Old English hāre hūne, from hār (see hoar) + hūne, the name of the white horehound, also applied to related plants.
Definition of horehound in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.