1A regulatory substance produced in an organism and transported in tissue fluids such as blood or sap to stimulate specific cells or tissues into action.
- These gonadotropins in turn stimulate synthesis of steroid hormones in target tissues.
- The gene altered in the giant rats makes the protein Leptin, a hormone released by fat cells as an appetite regulator.
- Insulin is the hormone which keeps blood sugar levels within the normal healthy range.
1.1A synthetic substance with a similar effect to that of an animal or plant hormone.
- The synthetic hormones have side effects, especially liver qi stagnation and blood stagnation.
- Anabolic steroids are synthetic hormones that cause the body to produce muscle and prevent muscle breakdown.
- The basic hormone on which all synthetic anabolic steroids are based.
1.2 (hormones) A person’s sex hormones as held to influence behaviour or mood: she told herself she was suffering from hormones, that she would cheer up soon
More example sentences
- And how can you trust your teenage opinion of people, when those opinions were being formed via rampaging hormones and juvenile mood swings?
- It may have been his hormones which improved his mood, as I watched him check her out constantly.
- Follow these steps to keep your hormones in balance - and your hormone-induced mood swings to a minimum.
Early 20th century: from Greek hormōn, present participle of horman 'impel, set in motion'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hor|mone
Definition of hormone in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.