- A deciduous tree of north temperate regions, with oval serrated leaves, inconspicuous drooping flowers, and tough winged nuts. It yields hard pale timber.
More example sentences
- Genus Carpinus, family Betulaceae: several species
- The forest has little undergrowth and is mainly composed of beech and pine, interspersed with a few oaks and hornbeams.
- He gives four options for the future of the hornbeams: remove the trees and replace them with a more suitable species; phase out the trees by removing two now and the remaining two five years later; thin the trees out or do nothing.
- But what is interesting for visitors is that the garden is still evolving: a gravel garden with silver plants is surrounded by a cloister of youthful hornbeams.
late Middle English: so named because of the tree's hard, close-grained wood.
More definitions of hornbeamDefinition of hornbeam in:
- The US English dictionary