- A dark brown, black, or green mineral consisting of a silicate of calcium, magnesium, and iron, occurring in many igneous and metamorphic rocks.More example sentences
- The main constituent phases of these rocks are plagioclase, hornblende, pyroxene, quartz and K-feldspar, and accessory phases include magnetite, sphene, zircon and apatite.
- Although each mound had substantial amounts of quartz and kaolinite, minerals that reflected differences in mound material included magnetite, gypsum, hornblende, hematite, goethite, and feldspars.
- All four samples are medium-grained, and comprise variable proportions of hornblende, feldspar and quartz with accessory biotite and titanite.
late 18th century: from German, from Horn 'horn' + blende (see blende).
More definitions of hornblendeDefinition of hornblende in:
- The US English dictionary