Definition of hornet in English:
A large, fairly docile wasp which is typically red and yellow or red and black and usually nests in hollow trees.
- Bites from bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets and fire ants are typically the most troublesome.
- The insects most likely to cause allergic reactions are wasps, honeybees, hornets, yellow jackets and ants.
- South African paper wasps, or hornets as they are also called, are often encountered underneath overhangs such as the eaves of roofs but do not form very big groups.
a hornets' nest
- A situation fraught with difficulties or complications: the move has stirred up a hornets' nest of academic fear and loathingMore example sentences
- Discount broker TD Waterhouse has stirred up a hornets' nest with the announcement that it will introduce margin trading into the UK.
- In doing so, he seems to have stirred up a hornets' nest.
- The US has not only disturbed a hornets' nest; it keeps on poking it.
Definition of hornet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan