Definition of hornet in English:
A large, fairly docile wasp which is typically red and yellow or red and black and usually nests in hollow trees.
- Bites from bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets and fire ants are typically the most troublesome.
- The insects most likely to cause allergic reactions are wasps, honeybees, hornets, yellow jackets and ants.
- South African paper wasps, or hornets as they are also called, are often encountered underneath overhangs such as the eaves of roofs but do not form very big groups.
- 1a hornets' nest
- A situation fraught with difficulties or complications: the move has stirred up a hornets' nest of academic fear and loathingMore example sentences
- Discount broker TD Waterhouse has stirred up a hornets' nest with the announcement that it will introduce margin trading into the UK.
- In doing so, he seems to have stirred up a hornets' nest.
- The US has not only disturbed a hornets' nest; it keeps on poking it.
Words that rhyme with hornetcornet
Definition of hornet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.