- A large wasp-like sawfly which deposits its eggs inside trees and timber. It has a long egg-laying tube but no sting. Also called woodwasp.
More example sentences
- Family Siricidae, suborder Symphyta, order Hymenoptera: several species
- There, the infant ichneumon secretes a paralyzing agent while it proceeds to eat the living horntail from the inside out.
- It could have been a horntail, which is actually a sawfly.
- In the home no control is necessary, as the horntails will not reinfest dried or seasoned wood or lumber.
More definitions of horntailDefinition of horntail in:
- The US English dictionary