Definition of horse chestnut in English:
1A deciduous tree with large leaves of five leaflets, conspicuous sticky winter buds, and upright conical clusters of white, pink, or red flowers. It bears nuts (conkers) enclosed in a fleshy case.
- Genus Aesculus, family Hippocastanaceae: several species, in particular A. hippocastanum, native east of the Balkans and widely planted
- They are all native species such as oak, horse chestnut and flowering cherry and have replaced those lost over the past few years, including one that was hit by a car and another that was blown down in the January gales.
- Along the trail, visitors can enjoy specimens such as the Indian horse chestnut, dawn redwood, autumn oaks and oriental hawthorns.
- Many trees, such as lime, sycamore, horse chestnut and willow provide excellent bee forage.
1.1 another term for conker.
- Depicting a horse chestnut, the sculpture symbolizes the fruits of a rural community and its potential for growth, energy and community.
- The horse chestnuts are not closely related to true chestnuts or chinquapins, and the resemblance of their fruits is coincidental.
Late 16th century: translating (now obsolete) botanical Latin Castanea equina; its fruit is said to have been an Eastern remedy for chest diseases in horses.
Definition of horse chestnut in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan