A large edible mushroom with a creamy-white cap and pinkish-grey gills, found in grassland in Eurasia and North America.
- Agaricus arvensis, family Agaricaceae, class Hymenomycetes
More example sentences
- Scotland produces all sorts of edible wild mushrooms - parasols, horse mushrooms, field mushrooms and wood blewits to name but a few - but you must be sure of what they are before eating them or you could end up in hospital or worse.
- We used to eat freshwater mussels from the river and cook the horse mushrooms that sprang up overnight in the fields, too, but she's right, I wouldn't do that now.
- While the horse mushroom will stain slightly yellow, it has a sweet odor that separates it immediately from its emetic cousins, and the base of its stem does not stain yellow like the others.
Definition of horse mushroom in:
- The US English dictionary