Definition of horseflesh in English:
1Horses considered collectively: he’s the best judge of horseflesh for miles around
More example sentences
- Half a ton of horseflesh running scared across a battlefield is a frightening and dangerous prospect.
- They were already on equal terms in judging horseflesh and in another year Joe would be as good a breaker as Adam was.
- During the wooing scene, Petruchio assesses Kate as though she were a piece of horseflesh, checking her ‘gait’ for imperfections.
1.1The flesh of a horse, especially when used as food.
- The horrors of the trench - rotting horseflesh, mud, poor food, weapons that would not fire, poison gas and the sheer terror of waiting for death - these were the images and experience of the Great War.
- Because horses in America are not food animals, veterinarians commonly prescribe and treat horses with potent drugs that may reside in the horseflesh and be dangerous when consumed by humans.
- A measure introduced in the United States Senate on Monday would permanently ban horse slaughter for human consumption as well as the international transport of live horses or horseflesh for human consumption.
Words that rhyme with horsefleshparfleche • gooseflesh
Definition of horseflesh in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan