- A plant with a hollow jointed stem which bears whorls of narrow leaves, producing spores in cones at the tips of the shoots.
More example sentences
- Genus Equisetum, the only surviving genus of the family Equisetaceae and class Sphenopsida, division Pteridophyta.
- During the Carboniferous the climate was hot and humid, and there were extensive swampy forests dominated by giant tree ferns and conifers, club mosses, and horsetails.
- Seed-producing plants are probably the most familiar plants to most people, unlike mosses, liverworts, horsetails, and most other seedless plants which are overlooked because of their size or inconspicuous appearance.
- By the end of the Devonian, ferns, horsetails and seed plants had also appeared, producing the first trees and the first forests.
More definitions of horsetailDefinition of horsetail in:
- The US English dictionary