Definition of hot rod in English:
A motor vehicle that has been specially modified to give it extra power and speed.
- This very popular one-day show is in its 14th year and gets bigger and better every time with a variety of street machines, vintage and veteran cars, hot rods, bikes and special interest vehicles.
- The event is open to American classic cars and hot rods from 6.30 pm to 9.00 pm.
- Then we have the groups who believe street rods, hot rods, muscle cars, or antiques are the way to go.
verb(hot-rod) (hot-rods, hot-rodding, hot-rodded) Back to top
1 [with object] Modify (a vehicle or other device) to make it faster or more powerful: I was told the program did an even better job of hot-rodding hardware
More example sentences
- Some sort of anodised aluminium encases the new 64-bit G5 processor which has been hot-rodded by the addition of a second floating point unit and a few other tweaks.
- I tracked using my old Fender Princeton and favorite hot-rodded Strat, experimenting with amp positions, as well as checking the system with vocals.
- Is there a place on the pop charts for a hand playing hot-rodded country music?
2 [no object] Drive a hot rod: as a teenager he preferred a steady wage and time to go out hot-rodding
More example sentences
- They're neither fast enough to inspire hot-rodding, nor large enough to be used as party cruisers.
- This new style of hot-rodding is what brings the automakers, all of them intent on capturing these enthusiasts - many with their parents' large disposable incomes - as customers.
- If you look deeply into the entire automotive scene the new craze in imports really isn't that different than the early days of hot-rodding.
- Example sentences
- Attention was also paid to the Charger SRT8's exhaust note, which produces a growl that will intimidate just about any hot-rodder.
- It's a good compromise that offers many safety and performance benefits, especially if you live in an area that has snow, rain and squirrely hot-rodders with a few license points to spare.
- A new breed of enthusiast customized his car to make it faster, then attempted to prove his bravery and workmanship by racing against fellow hot-rodders on back roads or dry lake beds.
Definition of hot rod in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.