adjective[attributive] North American
- Denoting a discussion about a favourite sport carried on during the off season: hot-stove speculationMore example sentences
- THE NATIONAL LEAGUE MAY NOT HAVE WON THE World Series last year, the Giants coming up short in a seven-game classic with the Angels, but there is little question about which circuit was the busiest in the hot-stove season.
- While the Yankees and the Red Sox hogged the hot-stove spotlight, it was the Angels who landed the best free-agent player in Guerrero and the top free-agent pitcher in power righthander Bartolo Colon.
- The hottest happening of a very active hot-stove NBA summer was the Los Angeles Lakers' trade of O'Neal to the Miami Heat for Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, and Brian Grant.
1950s: by association with discussions conducted around a heater in the winter.
More definitions of hot-stoveDefinition of hot-stove in:
- The US English dictionary