noun[mass noun] Law
- The reunion and blending together of properties for the purpose of securing equal division, especially of the property of an intestate parent.More example sentences
- The principle of restitution and the hotchpot rule may be combined, e.g., by having recourse to restitution only where the hotchpot rule will not likely lead to inter-creditor fairness.
- The value of the hotchpot, that is, advancements plus Intestate's estate, is $630,000.
- The general principle of tax law that income from an individual member's property thrown into the family hotchpot is taxable as the income of the joint family, is superseded by section 64.
late Middle English (meaning 'hotchpotch'): from Anglo-Norman French and Old French hochepot, from hocher 'to shake' (probably of Low German origin) + pot 'pot'.
More definitions of hotchpotDefinition of hotchpot in:
- The US English dictionary